Saturday, November 5, 2016

Extraordinary ordinary friends

I was chatting with a friend over a cup of tea this afternoon. I know she has an extraordinary story to her life. But I've know it a long time now and usually we talk now of the ordinary things of our lives.

In the midst of our conversation today, she weaved in a tiny glimpse into the bravery that was required of her in the period of her life before I had the privilege of knowing her. I don't think she noticed she'd said anything remarkable. Our rambling conversation went on.

But her life has not been ordinary. I am in awe of the way God has weaved her story and what he is continuing to do. Even the fact that our friendship feels so ordinary now is a wonderful gift.

Truth is, all my friends are somewhat extraordinary. And my work colleagues. And my students. And the lady at the bus stop.  How quick I am to reduce everyone down to the moments of ordinary days. 

When really. Really.  How extraordinary each and everyone of us are.

What a gift.

1 comment:

Tasmanian said...

Oh please post again.