Thursday, June 18, 2015

Elizabeth Elliot

I know all around the internet at the moment are tributes to Elizabeth Elliot.  She was certainly an author who influenced my life - Through the Gates of Splendor, Amy Carmichael's biography and Passion and Purity especially.  What impressed you about her writing was its foundation in an intimate knowledge of God and His word, her personal experience of suffering and God's sustaining grace, and the ability to say things plainly and without compromise and yet with beauty and warmth.  Like many, I felt a little like I'd lost a friend when I heard she had died this week at 88 years of age.

It is very hard to pick out only one quote to mark the occasion so I shall choose three:

One on the nature of womanhood:
“The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian makes me a different kind of woman."

A great quote from Amy Carmichael's biography:
“Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them.”

And finally, the opening lines to her daily radio broadcast:

"You are loved with an everlasting love,’ that's what the Bible says ‘and underneath are the everlasting arms.’ This is your friend, Elisabeth Elliot . . .”

No comments: