Saturday, August 2, 2014

A rant about restaurants

Tonight we went out to eat.  This lovely treat was provide for us as a reward from hubby's work.  Regrettably, we had all sat down and begun to order before I clued in that there was a TV up on the wall (with closed captions on so you could read along with the plot) not far from our table.

WHY do they do that?  It's a relatively recent thing and it absolutely grates on me.

Sure enough, our kids spent 98% of the time twisting their necks around to watch the Simpsons.  Grrrrrrr.  I suppose at least they practised their reading (because there was no sound).  But it made for a very boring family dinner.  If I'd wanted to watch my kids watch telly, we all could have done that at home.

I see this phenomena springing up everywhere.  One of our cafes has done it and now I can't take my child there for a little mummy-daughter date because the conversation dies as soon as she sees The Screen.  And last time the grandparents took the kids to McDonald's there was even a TV there!  It was blaring away in the corner as if no child could bear the discomfort of a trip to McD's without entertainment.

I predict the end of civilised conversation as we know it.

So annoying.

2 comments:

CardsAsGifts said...

The further problem is when you go to the doctors surgery and they have 'medical' videos on that cover topics you don't want your child to know about. Or the other medical centre we go to has the 24 hour news on their tv and I don't want them watching that, especially with the horrific events currently being videoed and discussed. I am so with you!

Deb said...

@CardsAsGifts: Yes! Doctors! And all other locations where you have to wait and don't have a choice over what you view!!! Grrrr.