Monday, February 24, 2014

Criminal law

Spent all day in court today with my Legal Studies students.  We were privileged to be able to speak for some time with a judge who gave the students a great talk on his work and the difficulties of sentencing.  Later in the day, the trial we were observing was adjourned for half an hour because an expert witness had not yet arrived.  The barrister for the prosecution spent the time chatting with our students and answering all manner of questions.  Generous with his time and knowledge.  He was a Tasmanian so I suppose that's why (I know you Tasmanian readers will be nodding your heads in approval).  He's been in law 20 years and had no intention originally of becoming a criminal lawyer.  Fascinating stories.  And I think he scared our soon-to-be driving students very effectively about the dangers of driving.  Actually, road trauma was a theme the judge took up as well.  They have obviously both been quite affected by the driving cases they've worked on.

Anyway, a brilliant day.

7 comments:

Alistair Bain said...

Sounds like an excellent day.

Good on the Tasmanian Barrister for living up to his state's reputation.

Being a barrister really is a fascinating and at times exciting job. Never a dull moment.

Deb said...

@ Alistair Bain
When he said, "I'm from Tasmania originally," I only just managed to stop myself saying, "Hey, do you know my friend Alistair Bain?" But I restrained myself.

Alistair Bain said...

Ha. That would have been funny.

If he's been practicing for 20 years, I might know him. I would have been at it for nearly 20 years by now if I'd stayed in it.

Deb said...

I really wanted to ask if he knew you as soon as he said he was Tasmanian but I figured Tasmanians are probably sick of everyone assuming they know everyone else who has ever lived in Tassie (although my Tasmanian friends consistently prove this assumption to be correct). Plus, if he'd said, "No," my students would have thought I was even loopier than usual. He chatted to us in the corridor before we went into court and that would have been my chance to ask him but I didn't know he was Tasmanian then. He was heaps better (at least on that day) than the defence barrister who made cross-examination into a painfully slow endurance event. So do you know Bruce Nibbs?

Alistair Bain said...

Haha. Yes I do. He was 2 or 3 years ahead of me. Quite an imposing presence, from memory?

Alistair Bain said...

The woman prosecuting the ex actor Robert Hughes is Tasmanian too.

Deb said...

"Imposing presence" - yep, that's him!