Friday, January 17, 2014

Not for me

So I've come to a big decision over the last couple of days.  It is no doubt minor in the scale of world issues but nevertheless here it is...

I'm not going to buy a slow-cooker.

The concert pianist kindly lent me hers for numerous weeks to try out.  I've attempted about four or five meals in it now.  "Meh" is the overall feeling.  Look, it smells fantastic while it's cooking and the meat is undeniably tender, but it all tastes rather bland when it finally gets to the plate.  I once was installed in one of our city's large hospitals for 10 days and it reminds me of the hospital food.  One night you'd be having sweet and sour pork and the next lasagne but somehow the taste was.... the same.

I had hoped I'd be able to use it for simple hospitality and quick dinners on work nights.  But I can't see myself serving any of the dishes I've tried to guests.  And the kids have been very opposed to the food so far so it'd be some time before they ate happily.  The other thing I'd hoped was that I could cook larger meals and then freeze half for another night.  But I couldn't see myself heating the leftovers we've had again - they've been cooked to death already.

I'm probably overcooking everything.  But I did follow the recipes religiously.  Anyway, the end result of it all is I think I'll use Nana's birthday money for something else.

What about you?  Anybody out there found their slow cooker fabulous enough to use regularly.  So far I've done hedgehog meatballs, Hawaiian chicken, an Indian stew of some kind and I can't remember what else.

5 comments:

Alison said...

Ha ha - I feel the same. Especially seeing as I have to eat salt free. Talk about bland!!

Alison said...

A Thermomix on the other hand....

Sarah said...

I'm much more of a fan of my Thermomix than my slow cooker . Slow cookers are great in that I feel very organised having dinner cooking away by mid morning. The downside is that it have to be organised in getting the meat out to defrost the night before, they tend to attract blowflies (or maybe that's just because I live on a farm), and I tend to only use the recipe bases from the supermarket.

Deb said...

@ Alison and Sarah: I have never even seen a Thermomix! I've heard of them and I gather they are some kind of whiz-bang-can-do-anything kind of machine. But I've never seen one in the flesh. Is it like the kitchen appliance equivalent of a swiss army knife?

Sarah said...

Kind of...they are like a food processor which cooks. And they ARE very expensive, just under $2k, but ours was a present from the tax man. :) I like them because you can leave cooking away and go and do something else instead of standing at the stove stirring constantly. And they turn off when they're done. :)