Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New year and all that

It's so quiet in the blogosphere.  Everyone is feeling sluggish and relaxed and none one has that itchy angst that keeps the posts coming.  Oh well.  It's what holidays are for, I guess.  So here's some randomness from the last couple of weeks at our house:

1. We went on a trip to see the family.  A few days beforehand, Honey suffered a deep gash to a back paw.  So we went with a sad dog with a neatly bandaged paw and had to ring ahead to book a Christmas Eve slot at a vet near our destination to have the bandaged changed at the correct time.  It's nearly healed now and it didn't seem to bother her too much apart from the sorrow of not being allowed to go on her daily runs.  She didn't need to wear a collar because she didn't attack her bandage.  She was so cooperative at the vet that he declared her to be "a very civilised piece of equipment".  We agree.

2. Lego and Nerf weaponry were the main Christmas presents in our house.  We also treated ourselves to Finska.  It's a Finnish outdoor game.  It's been lots of fun.




 
3. Now that we are home, we are doing some of those jobs about the house that add up over the year.  And watching DVDs and chillin'.  A trip to IKEA is in order at some point but I haven't got the energy up for that yet.  I've cleared up the mountain of paperwork that was plaguing my desk at the end of the year.  And next I've got to seriously tackle the master wardrobe.  Oh, that's a scary place.

4. I'm currently reading Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J. I. Packer.  One of those "I've always meant to read that" books.  And it's very readable.  What's striking me most are the passages that relate to my own understanding of salvation.

5. At some point, I've got to think about the year ahead.  I feel like my life is currently in the same state as my kitchen cupboards.  Everything's working, and dinner is still getting made, but it's disorganized and inefficient.  I'm not sure what needs to stay or go or be rearranged in my priorities but I do know I need to sit down and sift through before the year hits that frantic pace again.  Maybe that's going on in background of my mind as I fiddle around the house doing this and that.  Or maybe I need to just sit and stare at a wall for an hour or two and see if I can figure it all out.

Well, thanks for checking up on me.  Hope you'll stick around to chat further in 2014.  Cheerio, Deb.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Deb...bit of that thinking about the year ahead going on here too. And dog stuff. We are going to adopt another dog in the next month or so.
I read Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God a while ago, when I was getting into the habit of reading Christian books properly. I found it hard then but I think that might be different now :)
Happy new year to you and your family :)

Deb said...

@ Karen - I did have Evang. and the Sov. kicking about on my desk for a while before I sat down to read it. It's not a hard read but it's not light either so you have to have the mental headspace for it at the time. I'm glad I attempted it now and not in the midst of a busy term. Can't wait to see pictures of your new doggy!!!