Friday, November 29, 2013

End of year crazy

Signs that we have gotten to the end-of-the-year crazy:

1. I am letting my pre-schooler spend way too much time in front of the telly and telling myself they'll work him really hard at school next year so it will all even up.
2. I am running the dishwasher with strange items in it and less than scrupulously full because it just needs to be done.
3. My mother-in-law rang my husband this morning to ask if I was working today and he replied truthfully that he had no idea.
4. I heave a huge sigh of relief for every Christmas-related event that gets cancelled due to poor weather (hooray for one less thing!)
5. I keep thinking I've come to the end of the present list and then remembering with a sinking feeling the ones I've forgotten.
6. I'm actually contemplating letting kids decorate the tree entirely without my pedantic supervision to save time (this might be a good thing all round).
7. Yesterday, I used blank envelope mailing labels to stick the wrapping paper on my parents' Christmas present (that must be posted this week) because after 10 minutes of trying to find the sticky tape roll in my seven-year old's bedroom I gave up.  No bones were discovered, however, which shows we are making progress.

There's more.  So much more.  And we are still not even in the advent calendar countdown season.  Please feel free to add some of your own crazy to the list in the comments below.

2 comments:

Tasmanian said...

Yes - let them decorate the tree. No-one will judge you for not have symmetry. Or symmetree.

I feel the same about event cancellations. And extra TV.

It's about self-care. If you have enough juggling to do in a normal week, this time of year can be pear-shaped.

I can't even think of the right words to encourage you, because I am too tired...

Bring on the day-after-the-last-day-of-term.

Deb said...

@ Tasmanian: day-after-the-last-day-0f-term, ooh yeah! Bring it on.