Thursday, October 17, 2013

Random thoughts

Being a series of this week's not-profound thoughts (well, some of them).

1. I have come to realise that I have been in deep denial about the state of my sneakers.  The holes in the fabric on the top are becoming big enough to see the colour of my socks.  I must face reality.  But I can't bear to start again.  These sneakers are comfortable.

2. I have no heels to wear to the Valedictory Dinner next week.  The serious troubles of teaching Year 12.  I must go forth soon and find heels to match my dress.  They will not be comfortable.

3. I have found out I will be a Legal Eagle next year.  That is, I am teaching Year 11 Legal Studies.  I shall have to devote time in the summer holidays to improving my knowledge in this subject so that I might be suitably useful to my students.  I have begun drafting a list of must dos.
   1. Re-watch as many episodes of Rumpole as I can.  Undoubtedly, he is the legal mind to which to aspire.  I have fond memories watching Rumpole on the ABC with my dad when I was in high school (after which we would sometimes flick over to the black and white samuri film on SBS and make up our own subtitles).
   2. The Castle.  So that I can say, "It's the vibe of the thing" with proper emphasis if I get a tricky question in class.

 
Any other suggestions for my list?
 
4. We think we need to upgrade from a keyboard to a piano.  Do we buy a digital piano or invest in an acoustic?  What if our darling child suddenly quits piano in two years time?  Is a cheaper second-hand acoustic worth it or would it be better to buy a digital for that same price?  What do you reckon?
 
5.  Funny cat video.  Language warning however.  The internet and cats were made for each other.
 
 
6. Also made for each other were the internet and those of us who are indecisive.  So do you think I should get a slow-cooker?  It might help things run more smoothly with my increased teaching load next year.  Or would I use it a couple of times and then keep it at the back of my pots cupboard as a memorial to my lost enthusiasm?
 

13 comments:

Tasmanian said...

We don't use our slow cooker a lot, but it is handy for destressing. Ie. on a particularly busy work day, knowing I will come home to chicken casserole is one less thing on my mind. You are welcome to borrow mine and test it out :)

And YAY for Legal Studies. I think the entire back catalogue of Law and Order would be handy.

Alistair Bain said...

Yes. Rumpole of the Bailey. When I was studying my legal practice course before starting my apprenticeship the lecturer, who is now a Supreme Court Judge, told us that Rumpole was the best TV show to watch if we wanted to learn about legal ethics and criminal law generally. I love it.

CardsAsGifts said...

Rumpole is the best! Great laughs! I am sure somehow you must be able to also include some quote from Josiah Bartlett... you should make it your mission to try :-) Also in terms of long drawn out amazing vocabulary speechs, you should try to include some quotes from Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister. Yes I can see you are going to have fun!

CardsAsGifts said...

We also managed to pick up a really good quality yamaha digital piano (Clavinova) second hand for under $300. Check out gumtree and ebay before buying anything new.

Deb said...

Law & Order - yes! I should give some quality summer nights to that. And I've just remembered I ought to re-read To Kill and Mockingbird and watch 12 Angry Men.

Deb said...

Well that's high praise for Rumpole! If I had another cat, I'd be tempted to name her "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

Deb said...

Okay, challenge accepted. One Bartlett and one Sir Humphrey quote must be worked in. Incidentally, my delightfully random student in Philosophy this year loved Yes Minister and Sir Humphrey in particular.

Deb said...

I am watching something on Ebay this weekend. I've got the okay to buy it from the Concert Pianist so hopefully the bids won't go too high and I can snap it up.

CardsAsGifts said...

:-p, definitely an appropriate name!!!

Alison said...

We have a good quality digital piano. It has volume control which I find VERY important.

Deb said...

There are a lot of things around our house that could do with volume control! Wonder if children can be retrofitted.....?

Anonymous said...

Buy a slow cooker - they save my life! And get Sally Wise's slow cooker book - they are just too easy, most involve tossing all the ingredients in the slow cooker and turning it on... J

Deb said...

Well, you've convinced me! :)