Monday, September 30, 2013

What to wear: the dramas of shopping for tweens

If you have a daughter who is wearing a size greater than 6, you will know exactly what I mean when I say there is a big change in the type of clothing available once you go from "little girl" to "big girl" sizes.  I could rant on and on about it.  Your daughter turns seven and suddenly instead of rainbows and kittens, the tops have black cats, pouts and chains.  Similarly, I could give you a good rant about little boys' clothes and why I object to shirts that proclaim my son "baddest", "toughest" or "naughtiest".  How about "helpful", "clever" and "thoughtful"?

But I'll spare you my rant because I'm sure you've heard it before.  The other day, I logged on to Target and found this ad "Grow up! Uh uh, stay young!"  Obviously an appeal to those of us who have long been complaining about the tarting-up of their girls' range, the ad presents a selection of their range that they believe would appeal to mums like me.  Interestingly, it's not their full range - just some selected pieces to show me that it is possible to buy Target clothes of that kind.  It's a good start at least.  Shows that retailers are becoming aware of a slowly changing (please, let it be changing!) attitude in this area.

An alternative that we've tried a couple of times is Land's End.  It's an American retailer that ships to Australia.  The shipping is expensive - yuck - but if you buy during a sale (right now) it kind of evens out a bit.  They have a boys, men's and women's range but it's the girls clothing we've had the most trouble with so we've bought more girls clothing than anything else. The sizes go up to 16, and while the clothing is cute, it is still styled for children rather than young adults.  If you are especially looking for modest girls' clothing, or slim or plus sizing, it may be a help to you.  They also have a product on some of their boys' and girls' pants called 'Iron Knee' for those kids who wear through pants.

The current 30% off sale finishes Oct 1.  I don't want to be inciting anyone into spending so let me just say what my bank sometimes says: "Any advice on this website does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and you should consider whether it is appropriate for you." And, no, sadly I did not get a discount for this post.

No comments: