Friday, August 23, 2013

Inspector Singh Investigates

Inspector Singh Investigates: a Most Peculiar Malaysian MurderInspector Singh Investigates: A Bali Conspiracy Most FoulInspector Singh Investigates: The Singapore School of VillainyInspector Singh Investigates: A Curious Indian Cadaver
My weekend reading at present is the Inspector Singh mysteries.  The novels are your classic whodunnits with an idiosyncratic investigator whose unorthodox manner irritates his superiors but always gets results.  The main character is a blot on the otherwise organized and spotless image of the Singaporean police force.  His speciality is murder.  The series uses various locations in Asian as backdrops - Singapore, Malaysia, Bali, India, Cambodia and China.  As well as providing a murder mystery that must be solved, the author uses each novel to explore the cultural diversity and flavour of each different setting.  The plots are carried along by the human interest in the story rather than by tension or suspense so those looking for a gripping and grisly crime novel should look elsewhere.  But if you enjoy your crime fiction not-too-spicy then this might work for you.  I'm up the third in the series and I think the plots have gotten better as the series has progressed.  Think 'south-east-Asia meets No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' and you're on the right track.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get on to these? My mum introduced me to them as a way of better understanding Singapore! J

Deb said...

There you go! I think I found them by clicking through a set of links (probably Amazon or something) on similar books people liked. And then I saw they were at our local library so I gave the first one a whirl. Random clicking is therefore the answer!

Tasmanian said...

Thanks Deb, I have bought the first one for my Dad for Fathers Day. :)

Deb said...

Great! Hope he really enjoys it.