Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Yesterday I was in charge of walking the dog

I don't really want to talk about it.

I may or may not have driven her to the park so that I didn't have to walk her around the block to get there.

I may or may not have managed to have such a bad aim when throwing her favourite fetch toy that it ended up a gumtree.

I may or may not have climbed the tree to try to retrieve the toy.

It was up too high.

I shook the tree - no joy.

I threw sticks at it.  Honey thought I'd finally lost my mind.

It will still be there when my husband next goes to the park to retrieve it.

I may or may not have then driven to a store to buy a plastic specially-designed fetch stick in bright green plastic to make up for losing our best dog toy.

So let's just close this chapter and conclude that dog-exercising is not among my skill-set.

However, though many, many years have past since I last tried it, it turns out I am still an above-average tree-climber.  This is because of the unique combination of a light body-frame and the inability to accurately judge risk.  Just who did I think was going to help me if I'd fallen?  Honey, here's my phone.  Call an ambulance!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Oops. Hope you have some joy getting it down next time you're there. Maybe a team effort will help?

Dog exercising isn't in our skill set either...we just keep telling ourselves things like "they're older dogs" and "they'd really prefer to be sleeping" to justify it :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb, that made me giggle! Reminded me of when I climbed a tree at school earlier this year to retrieve a football! When I got up and got over my rejoicing at how nimble I still was I had exact same thought about injuring myself! At least one of the children would hopefully have sense to get help. Kel x

Deb said...

Honey has a way of making one motivated enough to walk her. It's kind of the mafia-method. For every day you don't walk her, she will destroy one thing. If she's being walked, you can leave toys all over the house. Fail to walk her and a piece of plastic will die. Just one. Per day. Until you get the message.

Deb said...

At some point, we are both going to have to accept that our tree climbing days are over. I'm hoping to live in denial just a bit longer. :)

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh. J

Deb said...

Glad to help. It's my community service.