Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Who are the bad guys?

I love shows like NCIS, anything that is essentially goodies versus the baddies.  They reaffirm my desire to see evil defeated and the triumph of the good guys.  Of course, I'm one of the good guys.  Right?  Nope.  Not really.

Ben Merkle writes:
 When we think about the narratives of our own lives, we are prone to tell our stories with ourselves as the heroes. Our own personal judgments become the established facts of the case. Our likes and dislikes, our own personal tastes, are all assumed to be the undisputed truth of the matter. And when we have bumps with others, we retell the stories in our minds favoring ourselves, putting ourselves in the most positive light and those with whom we disagree in the most negative. So right now if you asked me about the tensions in my life, I could describe for you the people who are being a pain, those who are giving me the most grief. And I would describe them in terms of how they are currently wronging me. They are currently the villains of the story in which I am the hero. But the funny thing is that most of them, if not all, are Christians just like me. And many of them are probably talking to God, their best friend, about the villains in their stories, namely me. And God is on their side, without ceasing to be on my side. He is infinitely personal.
Read the rest of the post here.

No comments: