Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A very useful coffin

One of my favourite brother-in-laws (I have three favourites) works in the funeral industry.  It makes for some interesting stories!  Ages ago he mentioned to me that someone has designed a bookshelf that can be converted into your own coffin when you die.  Useful now, useful later.  It's a bit IKEAish in design and of course it would be good for those over-planning types who like to have all the details worked out (I'm totally not like that of course - pass me another to do list, would you please?).  You can learn more about it from it's designer here and email him to get a set of plans customized to your height and build so you make your own.  A lovely little long weekend project!

Do you think you could live with it at your house?

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Ummmm... no.
:-)

Karen said...

Well, it's pretty minimalist, which I quite like. It's a bookshelf, and as books accumulate in our house, we always need more shelves to hold them.

And it doesn't obviously scream "potential coffin" when I look at it. So I think I could cope with one in my house. I think I would find it really amusing to talk about its multi-purpose nature with my friends, actually!

Are you thinking of buying one?

Deb said...

Now is it just the coffin part or do you not like the look of the bookshelf?

Deb said...

I don't think you can buy them. You can get the plans but you have to make your own, I think, as they are not commercially available. I don't know how I feel about them. On the one hand, I think after two weeks you'd just forget they were anything but a bookshelf. And I like the reminder that this life is not forever - keeps things in perspective. However, I don't know that I could ever be that comfortable with death. I don't subscribe to the "death is just a natural part of life" business and I don't want to make friends with it. Death shouldn't be here. It's horrible. I'm thankful God's done something about it. So I'm of two minds.