Friday, May 31, 2013

Thank God it's Friday

I know that “Thank God it’s Friday’ is usually said in absence of any kind of thankfulness towards the Almighty, but I’d like to do my bit to remedy that. 

Today is my dad's 70th birthday.  Happy birthday, Dad!

I'm thankful:
* my dad loves the Lord Jesus
* that Dad never gave up on family or faith even when some days it must have been hard to even want to get out of bed
* for the ways Dad taught me to think and be critical about the world (all those mornings of talkback radio on the drive to school instead of music)
* to Dad for giving me my teaching genes
* that Dad kept calling me "Ducky" even when I was fully grown
* for Dad's wonderful movie impressions (if you've seen him do Apollo 13 you know what I'm talking about)
* for Dad when he laughs so hard he can't talk
* that Dad never let me get away with saying "I feel" instead of "I think"
* that Dad expected the best from me and forgave the worst

Love you heaps, Dad.  Thanking God for you today.

You got anything you’re thankful for today? Join in! Let’s count our blessings for a bit.

2 comments:

Tasmanian said...

Apollo 13 - every time, cracks me up. And he will do it on demand whenever I ask.

Gary Ware said...

I'll give thanks for your dad too.
For his patience and wisdom.
For his committment to not allowing disagreement to become division.
For being able to empathise, but not indulging self pity.
For keeping his responsibilities even at personal cost.
And for hanging his head out of the window of a Tarago full of kids after Youth Alive at the Tennis Center and howling like a hound dog.