Monday, May 20, 2013

Hair goes it?

Another superficial hair update.

It's been over seven weeks now since I washed my hair with proper shampoo.  And I'm still loving it.  My hair feels very normal - just the same as when I was using commercial shampoo and conditioner.  My scalp issues have cleared up wonderfully, although I have to watch that I'm not too overzealous with the bi-carb soda right on the top of my head or that patch gets a bit dry.  But it's great.  Can't see myself going back any time soon.

One thing that has not worked out, however, is switching to washing every third day instead of every second.  It was really stringy and horrible by the middle of the third day.  I might try that again in the summer holidays when I'd have longer to get used to it before the pressure of needing to be neat and tidy for work.

I have fiddled around with the formulas to suit my own hair.  Currently I'm mixing 1 tablespoon of bi carb soda with one and a quarter cups of water for the wash.  Then I use 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water for the rinse.  I put each mix into an old kids' drink bottles and it usually lasts about a week.  I give them a quick shake before I use them and then squirt straight on to my scalp after I've wet my hair thoroughly.  First I use the bi carb mix and work my way around my scalp with little squirts so that it all gets covered.  It's easy to tell what you are doing because the "wash" mix is colder than the shower water so you can feel it going on.  Then I rinse thoroughly and follow the same procedure with the apple cider mix.  I usually leave that mix on for a couple of minutes before rinsing out.

This is definitely one of the weirdest things I've ever done.  I'm a pretty conservative lass and it goes against my instincts to use something home-made and natural.  But it's worked well for me.  Give it a go if your current shampoo is annoying you - you might just be an unlikely convert like me!

10 comments:

Karen said...

You know, I was just reading something about going shampoo free yesterday in a forum on a parenting website I frequent. It made me think of you, and I was wondering how it was all going. Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

I may get brave enough... It's certainly cheaper than my $16 a bottle oat shampoo.... J

Meredith said...

Thanks for the update. As you know, I was just wondering. As you have stuck with it and found it a good thing I mixed myself up a brew last night and tried it. And am doing OK today! I'll keep you posted! Thanks so much.

Deb said...

Go on! I double-dare you!

Deb said...

Oooooooh, can't wait to here how it goes!

Deb said...

Nice to be thought of. :) I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

Sarah said...

Glad it's working for you. A friend of mine tried going shampoo-free and just washing with water last year, but gave up. I think I just love the smell of shampoo too much.

Deb said...

I tried washing just with water one morning when I didn't think it need a full wash. It was horrible. I would give up too!

I do miss the shampoo smell. Vinegar is not the same (well, duh!).

Meredith said...

Epic fail. First day was magnificent. After that, for five days, terrible. I have fine, baby fluff hair that doesn't tolerate a whole lot. Can't go on any longer hoping things will improve. It's just too awful. Back to the shampoo tonight.

Deb said...

OH no! Sorry to hear that. Well, it's great that there's shampoo waiting to welcome you back. :) Tomorrow you'll have sane hair again!!!