Wednesday, April 3, 2013

'Poo free


Time to come clean - or at least talk about clean.  I haven't washed my hair in a week.  I might just end up looking like this soon.
 


 
 
I'm trying out going 'poo free' which as horrible as it sounds is just the trendy name for not using shampoo and conditioner.  Can I just take a moment to assure you all that I have still showered every day in the last week! 
 
Over the last year, I've been having troubles with my sensitive scalp and after three or four different shampoos, including two expensive natural/organic ones, it hasn't improved much.  So I thought I'd try something radical.  I am now using a weak bi-carb soda mix to "wash" my hair and an apple-cider vinegar "conditioning rinse" afterwards.  Plus, I'm working on stretching out how often I "wash" my hair so that I can get to "washing" it a couple of times a week rather than every day or second day.
 
If you are interested in the whole shampoo-free thing you can find lots of info for it here.  It's a bit radical, I know.  I am not a fan of herbal, organic, homeopathic, natural, home-remedy-type things as a rule.  And I won't be changing my vote at the next election.  But it's worth a shot.
 
My dad is reading this and concluding I finally have gone mad.
 
Anyway, one week in and how's it going?  The first couple of days were just greasy and then I had my first bi-carb wash.  I was really dubious about whether it would "feel" washed, but as soon as I started rinsing I could tell that it does actually "do" something.  I hadn't bought the apple-cider vinegar yet so I skipped that bit.  My hair was fabulous for the next couple of days and then I washed it again and I realized I really did need the apple-cider vinegar rinse.  The first wash was fine, but washing the second time dried out my hair and it felt a bit straw-like.  Today, I've washed it again and used the "rinse" for the first time.  It feels okay and has blow-dried well.  It's not very shiny, but maybe that will come in time.
 
And, no, it doesn't smell like fish and chips.  Once you rinse the vinegar off, you really can't smell it.  I've got these school holidays to try it out before my hair has to look presentable again for work.  They say there's usually a two-four week adjustment period.  So far it hasn't been too horrible but we'll see what this second week brings.
 
Anyone else out there gone 'poo-free?  Am I mad or on to something brilliant?

10 comments:

CardsAsGifts said...

Have you tried using baby shampoo/conditioner with the idea it might be less harsh? Also maybe Redken Coal Tar Shampoo http://www.redwin.com.au/sensitive-skin-product/coal-tar-shampoo/ or the more expensive version T-Gel http://www.neutrogena.com/category/hair/t-gel-.do When I was having problems with my scalp (not dandruff, just itching) I found these to be good.

Deb said...

Well, those might be the next option if I do end up looking wild by the end of the holidays! Thanks for the tip.

Karen said...

I wash my hair every day here and it feels awful and greasy to me if I don't do it so I'm not brave enough to try what you're doing. But it does sound interesting. Make sure you keep us updated...glad you shared that it doesn't smell like vinegar, which was my first thought as I was reading :)

Jean said...

Another option (I too have a very sensitive scalp and get itchy rashes with most 'poos and conditioners) is Moroccan Oil shampoo and conditioner. Expensive, but you only need a tiny amount (and I have very thick hair). Wonderful.

Deb said...

I'm trying it so you don't have to. That's my community service to y'all.

Deb said...

Sounds really nice!!!

Caroline said...

Well, I gave it a shot this morning after reading this post, because I needed to wash my hair, and can't use most shampoos because of the perfumes in them. I've been using unscented soap lately, which I'm not real keen on, so I tried the bicarb, and so far I've been really happy with it. I actually think I prefer it to shampoo and conditioner, but will need to give it a few more days before I'll be sure. I didn't have any vinegar, but found some (food grade) malic acid in the kitchen, so used a pinch of it in a cup of water. I don't think I'd be as happy with the bicarb effect if I hadn't used the acid to neutralise it at the end.

I do know of some families who wash the children's hair in water only, and they say that once things settle down it's really good, and they get lots of compliments. But I don't know if any adults in these families have tried it - I think the difficulty is getting over the first few transition weeks. I suppose that's what holidays are for!

Deb said...

Oh goody! I'm glad I'm not alone!!! We can keep each other updated!

Meredith said...

Wondering if you will intercept this comment, this post being a while ago. But how is this going? Is it still working for you?
Mx

Deb said...

Just for you, Meredith: an update - http://thisfleetingmoment.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/hair-goes-it.html