Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My mother's day present from Japan


I don't usually buy my own gifts - I prefer to be delightfully surprised.  But when Wendy mentioned the Nozomi Project in her series of posts on the second anniversary of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami I was captivated by the idea that brokenness and destruction could be restored to beauty and a new purpose.

The Nozomi Project - translated 'hope' in Japanese - creates beautiful one-of-a-kind jewellery pieces using broken pottery pieces left in the wake of the tsunami.  It provides "sustainable income, community, dignity and hope" to women from Ishinomaki, most of whom lost their livelihoods when the tsunami crashed through half of their city in 2011.  One third of these women are single mothers and grandmothers and all of them have been impacted by the tragedy that struck on that day.  You can read lots more about the project at their website and of course browse the beautiful jewellery on offer.  The postage to Australia was minimal (beginning at just $4.50) and I found great presents for my own mother and mother-in-law too.  My package got to me in less than three weeks, including the Easter weekend holidays, so there's still plenty of time for you to get your order in.  And just in case you're wondering, Ishinomaki is three hours north of Fukushima and definitely not in the radiation zone so it's not a glow-in-the-dark-kind of ring.

I'm hoping my new ring will open up some good conversations about why I so love the idea of brokenness being made new!  Just have to wait till May to wear it.

5 comments:

Karen said...

That's really cool, Deb. Hope Wendy sees this post :)

Wendy said...

Karen's just pointed this post out to me. That's great Deb! I hope you get many opportunities to talk about your ring. Thanks for supporting Japan.

-J said...

Came from Wendy's FB post. And then went immediately to Nozomi and ordered a Mother's Day gift for my mom! Thanks for the inspiration!

Deb said...

I'm sure you won't regret it. Their pieces are really very beautiful and you can see the quality of the workmanship. Or, should I say, workwomenship?

takameter said...

Thanks so much for supporting the Nozomi Project. We appreciate it, and are featuring your blog on our Nozomi website. It looks great on your hand!