Thursday, March 21, 2013

Catching my breath

Wow, it's been nearly a whole week since I've posted anything!  That's because we are having a massive couple of weeks in our family.  Last week, my husband was only home 3 nights out of 7.  It's pretty unusual for our family and thus challenging.  He had to change times zones during the week, which is always hard, and then spent the weekend hiking up a mountain with below-zero temperatures.  In addition to that, I've been trying to fit in extra meetings at work, parent/teacher interviews (in which I was the teacher - next week I'll be the parent), a professional development workshop and extra church stuff too.  Ahghghg!

This week hasn't been much slower with more than one "extra" thing on each day and juggling children here-there-and-everywhere to make it all work.  Tonight is the last "extra" thing when some of our middle school students put on their "Night of the Notables" presentation.  Before that, I have to squeeze in a trip to the shoe store for my 9-year old who has been trying to play sport in too-small sneakers for about two weeks while I find the time to go shoe-shopping.  Sigh.

But after tonight, we can all take a deep breath.

Actually, it's been a really big term.  The new job, the hectic pace of activities that comes with school-age children, the cat dying and all the other sundry bits and pieces have left me feeling really stretched.  And anxious.  I haven't been this prone to worry in years - literally.  I think it's all that stress from being a "beginning teacher" again.  While I have quite a few years of teaching experience under my belt, Year 12 has been a whole new ball game and taken up a huge portion of my head-space in the last three months.  It's really humbling, after being a fairly together professional, to go back into that situation where you feel you know very little and you're constantly needing to ask for help.  But that's a valuable experience to have been through.  I feel a great deal of sympathy for my students at present!

Anyway, just letting you know I'm still alive.  Just working hard and keeping out of trouble.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Sounds very busy. Well done for getting to the end of the week (nearly) and still sounding chipper (verily). You will be really looking forward to the school holidays. Good work you.
Mx
(PS. If being pressed for time continues on I can give you the recipe for a really quick delicious meal that involved IKEA meatballs.)

Anonymous said...

Phew. I'm exhausted for you! This too shall pass! J