Saturday, December 1, 2012

Washing machine rant

Yesterday, I was grateful we could replace the dead washing machine.  I still am.  But I'm also suffering from appliance adjustment disorder.  I totally made that disorder up.  But that doesn't make it any less real.  The buttons are different.  It has stuff I don't understand and it makes weird noises.  My mother doesn't like new appliances and neither do I.  I want my old machine back.  It had a nice metal lid and it was familiar and comfortable.

The new machine looked fine in the store but they don't tell you much in-store.  For a reasonably expensive purchase, I think you should be able to actually see the machine running.  It seems unreasonable to have to lay down hundreds of dollars for a machine you can't take for a test drive.  Here are the things you need to know that you can't find out:

1. How long a cycle takes.  Seriously the washing now takes twice as long.  This is because of it's wonderful water efficiency I believe.  Grrrrrrr.  I have at least three loads to get through today and I just want it done.  This is something they should mention along with the amount of water it uses.

2. The noises it makes.  This one is loud.  So was my last one at various points in the cycle.  But this is a weird kind of loud.  Not the familiar "tub, tub, tub" of my old agitator but strange random squishy sounds I don't know or like.  I'm not good with new noises.

3. Whether it will fit in your laundry.  Sigh.  This machine is slightly taller by about 5 cm.  That 5 cm would be the clearance space on the cupboards above.  Now my washing machine lid hits the cupboards above and has to be held open.  Grrrrrr.  In January, we will have to move our cupboards higher on the wall to accommodate the machine.

Washing machines now are also stupidly over-optioned.  The more stuff it has going on, the more stuff there is to malfunction and go wrong.  No one is going to use 7 different wash options.  They are going to use the same type of wash option 95% of the time and possibly one or two others the rest of the time.  Nobody wants to wake up at 7 am to put on a load of washing before the kids head to school and be met with five different decisions to make: cycle type, water level, water temp, rinse type, soak time.  The last machine I had, I turned a dial and pulled it out and it all just happened.  One of the machines we looked at had a glass lid so you could see the washing going around.  Why?  Why?  Why?  Give me a good sturdy metal lid that I can slam a big basket of dry washing on as I return from the backyard.  And what is with all the digital displays and flashing lights?  Some of the machines we surveyed looked like protypes for a Dr Who episode. Not needed and likely to break within five years.  Dials and punch buttons, people.  That's what I want.  And stuff made of metal.

My last machine went for 12+ years.  Sob.  It's hard to move on.  And worse, I think this grumpiness might all be a sign of my approaching middle-age.

9 comments:

Tasmanian said...

ARGH! How irritating that it takes so much longer! Mine is about 25 mins and it is really handy.

Deb said...

Yep, my old one was about the same. Switched this one on and pressed eco cycle and the display told me that would take a mere 1 hour and 17 minutes. Fasted wash? 52 minutes.

Karen said...

We still haven't worked out how the supposedly split folding shelf in our new(ish) fridge operates... The guy made it look so simple but it just feels like it's going to break when either of us try to do it.

And it is a nuisance when things don't quite fit properly, isn't it. Our fridge sticks out a bit more than the old one and we now have to be careful the lovely stainless steel door handle doesn't smack into the pantry door handle when we open it.

Hope you will get used to all the new quirks soon. They certainly don't make stuff like they used to :(

CardsAsGifts said...

Hey Deb, I had a washing machine replacement drama of mine own. I used to have a quick 30 cycle. New one said it was 45 I think but when I timed it, it was going over the hour. Had it replaced, next one still did the same. Replaced it with a Bosch that does 15 min cycle but you really need to add an extra spin of 8 mins. So 22 mins and it is done! Great! (finally!)

Karen said...

We have the Bosch front loader with the 15 minute cycle here too. It's great for a quick wash of swimming gear so you can get it out on the line and ready to use again tomorrow!

Susie said...

I understand your AAD pain Deb!

Deb said...

Susie: Thank you. It's hard but I've managed 3 loads now and I think we're making some progress on building our machine-person relationship. Long road ahead.

Cardsasgifts and Karen: 15 minutes!!! Sob. Sob. Sob.

CardsAsGifts said...

If you purchased it through the Good Guys and you are not happy with it, you can return it.

Deb said...

I think we'll be okay. I'm slowly adjusting.