Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Falling by the wayside

Me busy.  You too?  New minister coming in January and I'm on the subcommittee ("We like subcommittees. We're Presbyterian." could be our new tagline) to find a suitable house to rent.  I'm spending some serious time online looking at dodgy photos and trying to work out why no one builds houses with internal doors anymore.  We went to inspect one property this morning which the person with me summed up by saying, "That would be the house you would rent if you really hated the new minister and wanted him to be miserable."  I think that said it all really.

Add to the real estate hunting all the usual end-of-year craziness and some things have fallen by the wayside.  I found my Listasaurus on Saturday.  It was covered with a layer of dust.  Sigh.   And I'm not even pretending to try to keep my walk-in-wardrobe in order now.  I just have a huge pile on one side that I'm randomly adding to as I fly by.  Who knows what will be discovered therein when I finally attack it in January.  And dusting?  I think not.  Cleaning the oven?  Not going to happen.  I'm going to bed at night and lying there in a state of mild panic trying to get my mind around the next few weeks.

So I'm down to doing essentials.  Everyone has their own essentials list I imagine but this is mine ranked in order (obviously updating my blog to express how terribly busy I am comes first but I thought that went without saying - snort):

1.  Washing.  Clean clothes come first.  You can buy dinner or lunch.  You can wash dishes in a hurry or eat with your fingers.  You invite people out to a park if your house is a mess but you still have to wear something.  And in the case of kids, it's usually a specific uniform item.  If nothing else is getting done, I'm still loading and unloading the washing machine.  We may not be ironed, but we will smell fresh and have the right coloured school socks.

2. Supermarket shopping.  Forget the mess, if you can't scrounge up enough bits and pieces to make a school lunch, you're in trouble.  If you have milk, fruit or bread left in the house, you can usually throw something like a meal in front of your offspring.

3. Kitchen bench and dining table.  My stress level is linked in some strange way to how much stuff there is on the flat surfaces of my kitchen.  If I can see the bench, I believe life will go on.

4. Toilet.  Cannot be left for too long before the environmental disaster becomes too much to bear.  Say no more.

5. Cooking food.  Always good if you can manage it.

6. Floors.  Not as often as I like, but if the broom and/or the vacuum gets swirled around now and then, things seem more pleasant all round.

Those are my top 6 for survival living - Bear Grylls eat your heart out (or a lizard if prefer).  What about you?  What's your top priority when normal household routines are flying out the window?

6 comments:

CardsAsGifts said...

My list might be a different, but I find I can only live by doing the essentials... the rest eventually find a way of getting done, like when my mum comes to visit :-) The hard days are when you feel you can't even bare doing the essentials, and you find yourself culling the list to the absolute essentials.... I am not sure what comes after absolute...I will let you know if I ever reach there....

Deb said...

Nothing wrong with absolute essentials. Whatever gets you to the next day!

Susie said...

Someone once told me that if your kids bathe each night and wear clean pjs then washing the bedlinen once a term is ok? Surely that is major streamlining of essentials!

Tasmanian said...

Depends how much they drool, Susie ;)

I'm a fan of the quick shop. Yes, I need pegs and hair clips and curry powder and a new notebook but actually what I need BEFORE THE DAY ENDS is milk.

Tasmanian said...

And the other thing that keeps me sane when I feel like I am not getting anything down is writing down all the things I think I should remember to do. I can decide later if I have time to do them or if they are important. I just have to get them into a collection bucket so they don't bounce around in my brain. GTD.

Deb said...

We've only just got out of the bedwetting stage so I keep forgetting about changing the kids' bedlinen! I used to do it so often and now I don't have any routine at all for it. Must think about that in the new year...