Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Things I learnt from shopping today

1. Target has turned on their Christmas music.  It's on a very short loop.  That would seem to me to be an OH&S issue for their staff.

2. "I'll be your baby tonight" by UB40 is a Christmas tract.  Or at least it's sandwiched in there.

3. You know you are getting old when you can almost put your back out trying on clothes.

4.  If your back starts to get sore while trying on clothes, do not - and I cannot say this strongly enough - do not attempt to try on anything that involves the word 'skinny'.  Getting back out of that 'skinny' thing will cause you at least five minutes of excruciating pain.  And it will not look good.   'Skinny' should be reserved for teenagers who have forgotten to make time to eat because they are too busy texting each other.

5. No one makes white t-shirts anymore that aren't see-through.  Why is that?  These days, if you want to wear a t-shirt, you must wear a singlet underneath.  If it's not see-through, it will have a gaping neckline or some combination of mesh/lace/rivets/cut-aways/ridiculously wide armholes.  This is apparently so you can "layer" things.  I just want to wear a t-shirt.  Because it's hot.  Not two t-shirts. Because it's hot.

6. When you are getting old, buying sensible underwear always seems like a good thing to do even when you don't strictly need any more.  I bought a lot of singlets.

10 comments:

CardsAsGifts said...

As usual you make me laugh. I think if your list is anything to go by, I am definitely getting old! In addition to 3 and 4, don't try on dresses or shirts that by any chance might be too small for you. I myself have got stuck (and other family members too) in them and couldn't get them off again and spent the 5 minutes not only in pain but also sheer panic that I would have to ask a staff member to come and rescue me. The more pulling and twisting and gymnastics I performed, the worse it got. I had to stop, breathe, think clearly and then I was able to get out. My family member who had been there before had the 'benefit' of me waiting for them and they called for me and I helped them. I had been shopping alone. And I am totally with you on point 5. :-)

Anonymous said...

You can never have too many singlets... J

Anonymous said...

You can never have too many singlets... J

Jessica said...

AGREE with point 5 so much. I've switched to light grey, it's slightly more forgiving.

Deb said...

Oh, I know that horrible feeling of being stuck, imprisoned with your arms jammed against your ears and a garment half-on-half-off! Yes, I know it well. The fear that clutches at your throat (or is it just that stupid sash you forgot to untie?) and the blundering about in a panic. Do you try to wriggle back or keep trying to get it off? How can it be possible that you got into the outfit but now can't get out????

Deb said...

Indeed.

Deb said...

Yep. Me too.

CardsAsGifts said...

EXACTLY!!!!!!! I can never decide which is way is best, back on or keep trying to get it off :-)

kdbkenyon said...

You are hilarious! Im just about to start a night fill job at Big W....
Im worried aboutthe carols...

Deb said...

Ear plugs. I'm worried for you too.