Monday, October 1, 2012

Chronic meddling

Here's a quote from one of the Anne of Green Gables' books:
To meddle is to muddle.
 
I try to remember it.  I really, really do.  But I do have a terrible urge to interfere.

Take Saturday at Spotlight for example.  He was very hip, about 25, and looking at the same big rolls of calico as me.  "I bet he's making a banner too," I thought to myself.  I wandered away and happened to find some pre-cut lengths of calico that would work out cheaper.

I lined up behind him to wait for service.  I tried to keep my mouth shut.  But I just couldn't do it.  I had better calico and he needed to know.

"Excuse me, but did you see this package?"
"Oh.  How long?"
"5 m for $13. It's about 20 cms less in width though."
"Hmmm.  We're only making banners.  That would probably work out way better, huh?"

I just knew it was a banner!

Do you meddle?  Or do mind your own business and not go around poking your nose in where it's not called for?  Oh, it's a bad habit of mine!

4 comments:

CardsAsGifts said...

Oh you make me laugh out loud. I would have done the same thing!!!! I like to think of it as being helpful, not meddling! And he obviously considered you helpful too!!

Deb said...

I just couldn't help it. The guy was going to buy the wrong calico. It's a matter of principle.

Elrem said...

I have done that many times while shopping. No one has ever turned around and complained. I have even told some people hat it's cheaper at another shop. Like you, I think it's the principle.

Deb said...

Good on you, Elrem. I'd be very happy if someone helped me out too.