Thursday, September 27, 2012

Oh the humanity!

The whole "aim straight" issue in our kids' toilet is driving me nuts.  The table-tennis ball just isn't cutting it.  There is more than one possible culprit and everyone is denying responsibility.  I'm mopping the floor at least twice a day.  I know some of you have boys - help!  When/how did you get them out of the redecorating the bathroom phase?

Here's my current possible options:

1. Kitty litter.  Our cat uses a great clumping litter.  Perhaps I could just sprinkle it liberally around the base of the toilet and scoop when necessary.

2. Mats.  I could buy/sew a pile of those floor mats that go around toilets.  Yes, they would get soaked but at least it would stay in one place instead of running in the grooves of the tiles and spreading everywhere.  Perhaps if they could see the wet patch, they could be taught to change the mat!

3. Urinal fly decals from here.  Worked for Amsterdam airport so it might work for me.

4. A lock on the toilet door.  Children would be required to take an oath committing themselves to aiming straight or cleaning up before being allowed in.  But I can see this might create other issues...

5. Portaloo.  In the backyard.  You can't use the indoor toilet till you've kept the portaloo clean for four weeks.  Tough love.

6.  Begging and pleading.  Already tried.

Come on, guys!  Help me out here.

7 comments:

Petrina said...

I'll be watching this post eagerly. SP (3) has been sitting down so far but now wants to stand like Daddy. I knew it was coming but, yikes!

Karen said...

I just stick my head in the sand like an ostrich and pretend their toilet doesn't exist. I use the ensuite 99.99% of the time so I can do this.

The other 0.01% of the time, I just grab an old cloth nappy, wet it and wipe it around the bottom of the toilet. Or I pick a random child who is around and get them to do this.

Jessica said...

Lock the door and send them outside to use a tree. Or, some kind of funnel and hose?

CardsAsGifts said...

I thought the targets that changed colour when the wee hit them worked for you.... obviously the novelty value ran out??? Thankfully right at this moment we are not experiencing this problem. If I think of anything, I will write back.

CardsAsGifts said...

if you want to go back to them, I have found them at the chemist.

Deb said...

I was using them for a while...and the problem seemed over so I stopped. Hmmm, I might have to re-invest.

Deb said...

Outside is looking good at this point. :)