Thursday, September 6, 2012

Keep calm and read the poster







You've seen the Keep Calm and Carry On poster right?  Couldn't miss it at the moment.  It's everywhere.  Produced by the British Government's Ministry of Information in 1939, it was one of three posters designed to boost morale during the war.  The first two of the series were printed and distributed, but the Keep Calm poster was held back in reserve for use in the event of a dire emergency like an imminent German invasion.  It was never used, rediscovered once it was out of copyright, loved, mass distributed and now spoofed, altered and enjoyed by millions.  After all, who amongst us doesn't need a little reassurance now and then?  I personally like Keep Calm and Drink Tea.  But you know I have issues in that area...

Anyway, have you ever seen the first two posters?  The first was "Freedom Is In Peril. Defend It With All Your Might".  But the second is my favourite:


It's my favourite because it sums up nicely the challenge of parenting on a bad day when everyone is pushing the boundaries.  I have a tiny print out of it stuck up in my kitchen to remind me of my duty.  I usually totally ignore it.

5 comments:

Ben McLaughlin said...

I've been annoyed by all those posters around at the moment, but I didn't realise it had that history. That makes it a lot better and less annoying.

Do those little stickers of family members that people put on their back windscreens also originate from WWII?

Deb said...

Actually, no. They date back to the Crimean war. Back then they used fabric to make stencils of members of their family. These were then painted on to the rumps of their horses (or donkeys for the less well-off). They proved to be a useful method of identifying friend from foe and where sometimes used to pass secret coded messages. However, they fell out of favour because those with average-sized families of 8 or more children found it difficult to get the horse to stay still long enough to get everyone painted on.

Ben McLaughlin said...

Far out. Who knew?

Thanks for filling me in, it's good to continue the learning process. Just heading over to Wikipedia now to update their info on the car sticker topic. Thanks again.

Deb said...

Always keen to be a provider of quality information.

Karen said...

LOL. I have no inspiration for blogging at the moment so this gave me a good giggle...