Tuesday, September 25, 2012

For conflict

A friend of mine got some good advice from a counsellor about dealing with conflict.  He told them to focus on their priorities in order as they dealt with the conflict:

1. My relationship with God.  What does he want me to do in this situation?  How is my relationship with him going?

2. My spouse.  What needs to happen in our relationship in response to this conflict?  How is our relationship going?

3. My children.  How am I to care for them?  How is our relationship going?

4. And finally the conflict itself .... how do I respond to the conflict and the people in it?

I often skip to number 4 - how can I get this conflict and this person sorted out right now?!  And yet, if the other steps are looked at first, things might go much better.

Just so you know, I have no major conflict happening. This isn't some hidden post about some big church, family or work issue. It was just good advice I heard the other day that I thought I'd share. Don't freak out and read anything into it...

No comments: