Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ultimate pavlova recipe

Anything involving beating egg whites scares me.

But this recipe has restored my faith in whites.  The best bit?  You put all ingredients in at once and mix.  That, my friends, is a good recipe!  It should be noted that this recipe requires four egg whites.  By a happy coincidence my fantastic bacon carbonara recipe requires four egg yolks.  A match made in heaven (and with all that cream I'll probably get there faster).  I give you...

Mrs Dunstone's never-fail pav recipe.  

4 egg whites (approx. 55-60g eggs)
1.5 cups castor sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons boiling water

1. Place all ingredients into small bowl of electric mixer.
2. Beat on high speed until mixture is very stiff (about 10 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 180C.
4. Shape mixture onto foil tray.  It does flatten slightly but not a great deal so make it pavlova-shaped rather than a high dome.
5. Bake at 180 for 10 mins.
6. Reduce heat to 120 and bake for a further 45 mins.
7. Remove from the oven, cool completely, slide carefully from foil onto plate.  Actually, I often leave it on the foil but that's just me.
8. Decorate with whipped cream and sliced fruit.

So celebrate the Olympics in style with a traditional Aussie desert.  Don't listen to those Kiwis - there's no way the pav is a Kiwi invention.  Oi, oi, oi!




No comments: