Monday, August 13, 2012

A good weekend and a worry

Brilliant weekend. Friday night I had dinner with the other teachers (and their spouses) in my department. So much laughter! What a great bunch of people. Then Sunday after church we had lunch for 15 at our house. Eight of those were children so it was a lovely loud rambling kind of lunch.

But then last night I got to thinking about the floods in the Philippines. I have been hearing about it on the news but didn't pay much attention. Suddenly last night I thought to myself, "Hang on! The flooding will be in more cities than just the capital. It was a cyclone after all. What about the city my sponsored child is in?" And, yes, there is severe flooding in his city also. I can't believe that it didn't even occur to me to check until last night!

The Australian Compassion website has started listing affected projects and so far my child's centre number is not listed. But they also say that it is "still too dangerous for Compassion staff members to travel and collect exact information about the situation". Yikes!

Apart from the danger he may have faced in the flooding, and the possible loss of personal possessions and housing, there is a danger of wide-spread disease in the city from water-born illnesses. They are worried about food shortages too. I know he lives near a river and that his house is made of wood. On the other hand, there are frequent floods in the Philippines (our street used to flood every year when I was growing up there) and people tend to know what to do. And cities are big places - you can have one area badly affected by a flood and another area completely fine.

So you can imagine our bedtime prayers were a little more urgent last night. I'll be going back and forth to the Compassion website throughout the day to check for updates. Hopefully they'll list his centre as okay soon and we can stop worrying. In the meantime, I'm thankful that he is sponsored with Compassion because I know they will check on each and every one of their kids to see that they are okay.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Will pray that all is well there for your little guy.

Deb said...

Thanks, Karen. I'm trying not to be anxious, especially as it may be a long while before we hear specific news.

Tasmanian said...

Yes we will pray too.