Thursday, July 5, 2012

School holiday update

Officeworks craft session: worth going to, kids enjoyed themselves.  It was basically a few vaguely structured ideas and piles of coloured paper, shiny bits and pieces, pipe cleaners, glue sticks, pencils, textas and scissors.  One boy asked right at the start of the session, "Are you going to tell us what we have to do and how to do it or can we just do anything we want?"  An audible sigh of relief was heard around the table when the Officeworks staff member said, "Oh no. You can do anything you want!"  My kids glued and cut very happily for the full hour.  I looked at printers (which I'm sure was the specific goal of hosting school holiday programs).

Bunnings kids workshop: disappointing craft session.  The craft was enjoyed by the kids (painting a small flat wooden animal shape) but really only took 15 minutes.  Good if you have kids with short attention spans, I suppose.  I was hoping for something more in the line of hammers and nails and blocks of offcuts.  No such luck.  On the plus side were the free plastic aprons we took home and the blow-up Bunnings hammer one of my kids scored for being a good sport and volunteering to go last when they ran out of supplies and had to get more.  But now that we have the aprons, I don't think I'd make a special trip for that one again.

How's your school holidays going?

No comments: