Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cannon-ball poppers

Another boys' club craft by the husband.  We modified the craft instructions for the marshmallow shooters from here.  They made theirs with two disposable cups and a balloon.  My husband felt the need to create an industrial-strength version by replacing the plastic cups with sections of PVC pipe.  Of course.  Because why have a craft if you can't visit the hardware store and make it tougher?  So the boys cut the round end off a balloon and placed it over one end of the pipe.  They also sticky-taped the cut end of the balloon to the pipe for a bit of extra strength. By pulling the tail of the balloon back, they could shoot felt pompoms across the room with a satisfyingly loud snap.  Also shoots small crumbled paper balls and mini-marshmallows very effectively.  If you have a couple of disposable cups and an old balloon in your cupboard - get going!  What are you waiting for?

4 comments:

CardsAsGifts said...

What an awesome idea... I must say I am further impressed by your husband. I have always been, but his craft projects with the boys are really really cool! I think he should start his own blog about boys and craft!

CardsAsGifts said...

Further to my earlier comment, we made some today, my hope being that it would be a good distraction and perhaps I could have 5 minutes to myself. What I have found is that shooting one little piece of rolled up paper is not enough. Master needs to shoot 50. The rule at the moment is he needs to pack up the mess, but given that right now, as fast as I clean, the mess gets bigger and bigger, I don't hold out much hope. A fun activity to be sure, just not perhaps for a frazzled (if that is how you spell it) mum.

Deb said...

Hee, hee, hee!

CardsAsGifts said...

I am poking out my tongue at you!!!!!!! :-P