Sunday, June 3, 2012

What's in a name?

Thank you to all of you who have left kind comments welcoming me to Blogland. I did agonise long and hard before deciding to start a blog. But once I’d made up my mind, the hardest part was finding a name that wasn’t already taken. It was a bit like choosing baby names and thinking you are being very original. Then you get to the first day of kindergarten and there are three other Xianthias in the class and you realize you are about as original as everyone else of your generation.

It took hours. I started up with some pretty witty titles – plays on words or references to famous films or hymns. Then I’d google the title and find someone had already thought of it back in 2006. After a while, I got frustrated and started googling stupid names. There is already a blog out there called “no name” and another called “hunting plastic giraffes”. I kid you not. So no joy there either.

At this point, I consulted Wikipedia to find that last year it was estimated that there were more than 156 million public blogs worldwide. I therefore predict that in three months’ time, you will not be able to get an original title for your blog unless you are prepared to use ancient Persian.  If you are thinking of starting a blog, you’d better do it today.  And you can’t use that either, because Alison’s already taken thinking of starting a blog.
But at last I settled on 'This fleeting moment' and here we are.  Don’t worry.  I’m not going to continue posting three times a day.  It’s just that I don’t want friends to visit and find the place looking like a new house without any furniture so I’m having a bit of a posting blitz.

And again, thanks for the welcome.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I found one last night on blogger called People I Want to Punch in the Throat. A bit of rude language on it, but I think it pretty much summed up the writer's style quite well....