Thursday, June 21, 2012

How to get kids to eat their veggies...or not.

The kids have been listening to Colin Buchanan's V-E-G-E-T-A-B-L-E-S song in the car of late.  They love the different hiding spots the girl uses to get rid of her veggies at dinner time.  It is also amusing to the adults in the car because we know a real life version of those events from my husband's childhood.

When the four brothers were young, they were making the usual fuss about food at the dinner table.  So my parents-in-law hit upon a scheme that solved all the vegetable wars.  When a lad wouldn't eat his veggies, he got sent to the laundry with his dinner to finish it.  Sure enough, this parenting gem worked every time.  A couple of minutes in solitary was all it took to convince the boys that they needed to gobble up their veggies and obey their mum and dad. Of course, Mum and Dad were duly proud of their parenting prowess.  They possibly even passed on their method as a piece of wise advice. They had solved the age-old dispute about veggies and all was well.  Or so they thought.

A year or two later (these tales sometimes grow in the telling so it may or may not have been five years later ...the boys do exaggerate), it was time for the family to move house.  When they pulled out the washing machine, they found a mound of crusty veggies hidden down against the laundry wall.  I imagine it was a bit like the layers you can see in rock formations with all the different donations from the boys over time. The boys all had the same plan.  Go to the laundry, dispose of the veggies, then hang out for a few minutes to make it look plausible before handing your plate to Mum with an angelic smile.

This has become my favourite parenting cautionary tale.  Every time I think I'm on to some kind of parenting-gold, I remind myself that I just might not be as clever as I think I am.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Be wary of angelic smiles!! J

Kirsty Watson said...

Knowing all 4 boys it does not surprise me in the least! REminds me of putting the thermometer against the heater to obtain time off school, think mum must of worked out I was lying, when presented with a temp of 45C. LOL.

Deb said...

45C! That's hilarious!!!

Kellie said...

I was too much of a goody two shoes to even think up any of these schemes....just as well Dale will be wose to any serious maneuvres!

Ben McLaughlin said...

Heh! When we were kids my big sister hated peas and pumpkin. There was a little slit the vinyl padded bit of her chair, and she would surreptitiously stuff pea and pumpkin mush in there, apparantly for quite a long time. One day it just reached critical mass, someone sat on the chair, and old veggie slurry oozed out of the slit like toothpaste. Parental wrath ensued.

Deb said...

Hey, Kellie! Thanks for dropping by. :)

Deb said...

Beware your sin will find you out. Hee, hee.