Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Buttermilk Rolls

Our family has hot bread rolls for breakfast almost every school morning. 

In case you think I get up at 3 am to bake my own bread, let me set the record straight.  I use the following dough recipe that keeps for a week in the fridge.  I make up a big batch at the start of the week and then all I have to do each morning is pull out some lumps of dough, shove a tray in the oven and have a cup of tea while it cooks for 10 minutes.  And this is done while I'm still in pjs and semi-conscious.  And there's a fair bit of self-interest involved.  Breakfast rolls = eldest child gets up gladly.  No rolls = morning battle.  For a while, I resisted this because I did not want to blackmailed by bad behaviour.  Then I figured I had the whole day to discipline and it might be worth my while to get through the first half hour in peace.  So now my husband puts the oven on as he leaves the house and 15 minutes later I put the rolls in.

This is a recipe I originally found on a website somewhere in cyberspace. I've tried to find it again so that I can duly credit the owner, but alas my googling did not get me back to wherever it was that I first found it.  They taste like a cross between a dinner roll and a scone.  Sort of a sourdough flavour.  Light and fluffy if you make them right and best eaten straight away.  Of course, you don't have to have them at breakfast.  They'd be perfect with soup or a casserole.

Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls
1 pkg dry yeast (7 g)
½ cup warm water

½ cup butter or margarine, melted
4 ½ cups plain flour
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp bi carb soda
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl and let it stand for five minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a smaller bowl. After five minutes, stir into the yeast the melted butter and buttermilk. Add dry ingredients to yeast mixture; mix well. Turn dough out on a well-floured surface; knead gently, adding a bit more flour as you go, until dough can be handled. Shape dough into a rough ball; place in a bowl and cover.  I use a large tupperware container with a lid but I'm sure a bowl with gladwrap would do too. Refrigerate until needed (dough will keep one week).  You need to make the dough a few hours before you want to use it to give it time to rise.  I usually make it the day before it's needed.

To cook:
Preheat oven to 180 C (400 F). Shape dough into rolls, as desired; place on baking paper or lightly greased tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 25-30 rolls depending on size.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I wanted this recipe :) And look - I was able to comment!! Jen

Deb said...

I did put it up just for you, Jen. :)

Karen said...

Yum. Adding buttermilk to this week's shopping list now. Bread baking is in full swing here with the arrival of winter. Great to have a different recipe to try...thanks :)

Deb said...

Yeah, gotta love those winter carbs I say. Enjoy!